The annual Arts Degree Show, which showcases the work of the University’s graduating Fine Art, Graphic Communication and Illustration, and Textiles students, including an exhibition by our completing Foundation Art and Design students, will commence on 9th June.
The show is testament to the creativity, imagination, determination and technical skills of Loughborough’s art students. Expect to view an inspiring and thought-provoking array of work, including paintings and illustrations, textile design, fashion garments, sculpture, photographs, installations, short films and animations, portfolios of graphic design work and app designs.
The Arts Degree Show is held in the Edward Barnsley Building and runs from 9th – 16th June, 10am -5pm. It forms part of the University’s Arts Festival, which runs from 6th to 15th June. For further information visit the show’s website here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/aed/degree-show-18/
Television fans take note – the popular Box of Broadcasts (BoB) Service will be unavailable between 11th – 13th June 2018.
Owing to a necessary relocation of their servers, BoB will be switched off on the morning of 11th June 2018 and will be completely unavailable for 3 days. Forward scheduling on the EPG will be available up to 11th June and then will restart once the move is complete. Programmes broadcast during the down-period will be available retrospectively for most channels.
As this Bank Holiday weekend is traditionally one of the busiest times of the Academic calendar (not least in the Library!), University Facilities Management are opening up some extra study spaces over the weekend.
- Saturday 26th May 8.00am – 6.00pm: All of James France – CC rooms and Exhibition area, all of West Park Teaching Hub
- Sunday 27th May 8.00am – 6.00pm: All of James France – CC rooms and Exhibition area, all of West Park Teaching Hub
- Monday 28th May 8.00am – 6.00pm: All of James France – CC rooms and Exhibition area, all of West Park Teaching Hub
These are addition to the D-Rooms in James France and the YY-Rooms in John Cooper.
The Library will still be open 24-7 over the weekend, albeit with a skeleton service on Bank Holiday Monday. Unfortunately the PC Clinic will be closed on Monday.
If you prefer a more active participation in sport than from the comfort of an armchair – or simply want to try something new – then why not try out Loughborough Sports new Summer Sport Programme which kicks off next week and runs for the summer.
You can try your hand at:
All the sessions are free to attend for students and staff alike – just turn up and play!
As summer hurtles by many of you may be casting your minds towards borrowing books over the vacation – and many of you may need to bring some of those books back before you leave!
As it stands at the moment, all Long Loan books for Undergraduates, Finalists, Postgrads (including CDS registered) are being issued until Wednesday 20th June – the very last day of term.
From Monday 11th June all Long Loan and Week Loan books will be issued over the summer vacation to either Wednesday 3rd October or Friday 5th October 2018 depending on your status.
All Long Loan and Week loan books borrowed by Finalists will only issue until Wednesday 20th June – we will be issuing reminders to Finalists about clearing their accounts nearer the time.
All External user and Alumni loans remain on a rolling 4-week or one week loan.
High Demand loans, as always, remain the same.
Leisure Reading books will also issue until the 20th June, up until 11th June when they will also issue over the summer vacation.
Please remember that all books are subject to recall over the vacation, so keep an eye on your emails unless you want a nasty surprise when you come back!
The Library is having its annual Customer Service Excellence accreditation visit on Friday 25th May. Our assessor would really like to talk with our students to see what they think of our service – everything you say in the meeting will be anonymous. If anyone is free between 1pm – 2pm and would like to take part it would be much appreciated – we will even give £10 of print credits for your time.
Please contact Matt Cunningham on M.S.Cunningham@lboro.ac.uk or just ask at the Enquiry Desk to register your place.
Want to check your borrowing on the go? Users can now check their Library account on the new Library tile on the my.Lboro app. Further details and download link here: https://bit.ly/2IVZu1J
Today we launch our new Noise Alert Text Service in the Library. If you’re experiencing too much noise disruption in your study area, text the number on one of the posters displayed across Levels 1 & 2 and on all the study tables in the Silent Study Area, and a member of staff will be sent to investigate ASAP.
When sending an alert, please give us your floor location and either study desk number or approximate seating location.
Please note this service is to alert us about noise disruption – if you have any other enquiries, please visit one of our Enquiry Desks.
Charlie says… it’s that time again! Yes, the exam season is looming, and as usual, the Library will be doing everything we can to help everyone through – plus a little extra!
- 24-7 Opening. The Library will be open non-stop from 8.30am on Monday 21st May and will remain so until 2am on Wednesday 20th June. This is an increase of three extra 24-7 days from last year!
- Extra Study Space in Seminar Room 1. Additional study tables will be placed inside our largest seminar room on Level 3 and this will be open for students to use from 21st May through until Friday 8th June. No need to book, just go and grab a seat!
- Library On Tour – James France. Library staff will be available in the James France Study Room D002 from 10am-3pm from Tuesday 29th May to Friday 8th June to provide assistance for users requiring additional staffed study space.
- Desk Clearing. Busy library means fewer spaces, and sometimes people aren’t always considerate about how much space they take up! As usual we’ll be patrolling the floors and removing any items left unattended for more than 30 minutes to free up space.
- Noise Alert Text Service. From Monday 21st May we will be launching a new noise alert system where people can text a mobile number to let us know if anyone is being noisy or disruptive. Further details to follow soon!
- Library Café Later Opening. The Library Café will be extending its regular opening hours from 8.30am to 10pm for three weeks beginning Monday 21st May – so you’ve got lots more time to grab a break (just make sure you’re back in 30 minutes!)
Keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook feeds for further service updates and announcements, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you need any kind of assistance or support – we’re here to help.
Best of luck!