The way to register for the SCONUL Access Scheme has changed. You can now apply on-line for your passport to over 170 higher education libraries. .
What is SCONUL Access?
• It is the largest borrowing and reference scheme in the UK and Republic of Ireland
• It allows staff and students from one member library to use other member libraries
• It is free to join
What has changed?
• You can now apply to join the scheme online and receive all communication from your home library electronically.
But I have already joined; what happens to me?
• We have thousands of current members with SCONUL Access cards. Libraries will continue to accept these cards.
• You can use the new website to find suitable host libraries and their contact details.
• Carry on joining libraries and borrowing!
I am not a member but it sounds like a great idea! How do I join?
• Go to http://www.access.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access and follow a few simple steps.
• Tell the system what kind of library user you are (staff, full time post graduate, distance learner etc.) and the name of the library at which you are employed or registered as a student).
• Find a library will show you all potential host libraries either as a map or a list. You can modify your search to find libraries in a particular region or near a postcode.
• Choose your first host library by clicking on the name; this will give you details of the institution and allow you to “Apply for access”. This will lead you to an online registration form for the scheme which you can submit to your home library for approval.
• Use the side menus for more details of the scheme.
• Staff at your home library will process your application generally within three working days. They will check that you are a registered user with no outstanding fines or problems.
• Once your application is approved you will receive and email confirming that you are eligible for the scheme. Some users such as undergraduates are only allowed reference access.
• Take a copy of this email and your library or ID card to libraries that you wish to join.
• These host libraries will issue you with a library card so that you can borrow books or gain reference access until your SCONUL Access card expires.
Remember to check the website of your host libraries for crucial information such as opening hours before you visit.
If you have any questions on The SCONUL Access scheme, please contact The Library’s Customer Services Manager.