Photographs and images on the internet have the same copyright protection as physical copies. Copying, reusing or distributing this material will infringe copyright unless the copyright owner has given you their express permission.
Getting in contact with the copyright owner is not always easy so a few websites have developed licences which allow others to reuse images under certain terms and conditions. Always remember to check the specific usage conditions and credit an image unless specified otherwise..
Online free resources for still images & photographs – Please remember to check the terms and conditions for each site.
General Images A-Z
- Behold – this search engine locates high quality, high resolution Flickr images
- Commons by Flickr – a catalogue of the world’s public photo archives
- Creative Commons Search – search for images with Creative Commons (CC) licences on Flickr, Fotopedia, Google Images and Open Clip Art Library. Learn more about Creative Commons Licences.
- Europeana – Millions of images from museums, libraries and archives. Use the advanced search option to find material with CC licences.
- Flickr – material is individually licensed under CC licences – also includes collections of Public Domain (copyright-expired) images from the British Library, the National Maritime Museum and other institutions.
- FreeFoto – Over 132,000 free images. Usage terms require attribution and a link back to their website.
- Google Images advanced search – Change ‘usage rights’ to filter image licences.
- Kozzi – free professional stock images for personal & non-commercial use.
- MorgueFile – a public image archive created by creatives. Select the free photos option. Check the licence terms for each individual image.
- New Old Stock – old, vintage or retro images free of known copyright restrictions.
- Open Photo Project – images individually licensed under Creative Commons.
- PhotoPin – Search Creative Commons photos for blog posts
- Pixabay – public domain images with generous CC licences, stating they can be copied, modified, or distributed even for commercial purposes. View using Chrome or latest version of Internet Explorer.
- Public Domain Images – wide choice of images with generous usage terms.
- Stock.Xchng – a wide variety of free stock photographs owned by Getty. Check the terms.
- Unsplash – contemporary photos all licensed under Creative Commons Zero, which means you can copy, modify or distribute images for free.
- Wikimedia Commons: Images – large collection of images individually licensed under Creative Commons. Can browse by sub category or search by topic.
- Xpert from the University of Nottingham – a wide range of materials in all the main subject categories. Material is either in the public domain or each item is individually licensed under Creative Commons.
- Image * After – for artistic images which can be searched by colour or texture. Generous terms of usage.
- Imagebank – specifically for Christian worship, talks and events. Carefully read the terms.
- Library of Congress on Flickr – large collection of historical photographs including, jazz, baseball, 1930-40s in colour, women’s liberation etc. Check terms on individual images.
- V&A – Over 250,000 images including fashion, photographs, and sculpture. Facility to download high resolution images for free.
- VADS – Over 100,000 images for visual arts for use in learning, teaching and research.
- Radiopaedia – CC images for medical and radiography professionals.
- Wellcome Trust Images – a very large collection of high-quality images in the Public Domain on the history, sociology and anthropology of medicine and the biological sciences.
- EduPic Graphical Resource – for science, nature and geology.
- National Geographic – Check their specific terms for educational use of content.
Professional Stock Images
- Free Digital Photos – professional stock photographs. Please acknowledge the source.
- Free Images – professional stock images in technology, transport, sport, health, nature, buildings and textures. Please check the terms carefully, acknowledge the source and provide a link to the site.
Search Engines and Directories of images:
- Clipart Review – links to various websites with photographs and clip art. Carefully check the terms and conditions for each website listed.
- EveryStockPhoto – a search engine for free photos.
Other online resources:
Information on the Law relating to Pinterest and Image Sharing Websites – provided by JISC.
Understanding image licensing – Provided by Getty Images
Please note that the website links above have been compiled to help you highlight the range of websites available but are not endorsed by the University.
If you have found a suitable image on a website but you are unsure about downloading and embedding it, consider providing a hyperlink directly to the website. You just need to make sure that the image you are linking to is an authorised copy and not a ‘pirate’ version.
The Library subscribes to a range of databases which provide ‘copyright friendly’ images, figures and tables. These are not copyright free but can be reused under certain terms and conditions. These databases can be accessed via the Library Catalogue and include the following:
- ARKive: Images of life on earth
- ASSIA Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts
- Business Source Complete
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
- Physical Education Index
- Polymer Library
- Social Services Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts
- Vogue Archive
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
Images from Books
The Library stocks a few books which provide copyright-free illustrations, subject to terms and conditions. These include:
- Borders ad lib: a source book of ready-to-use copyright -free art by T. Hinwoon, shelfmark 686.224 HIN oversize colection.
- Geometric design and ornament: 374 copyright-free designs for artists and craftsmen, by E.V.Gillon, shelfmark 745.4 GIL.
- The copy book: copyright-free illustrations for development, by L. Bob, B. Wilson & The Association of Illustrators, shelfmark 743.4 COP. Covers food, water, work, health and shelter.
- Jewelry: a pictorial archive of woodcuts and engravings: over 1000 copyright-free illustrations for artists and designers by H.H.Hart, R. Sietsema & N. Goldberg, shelfmark 739.27 HAR.
- Fashions of the thirties: 476 authentic copyright-free illustrations by C. Belanger Grafton, shelfmark 391.009043 GRA.
- Women: a pictorial archive from nineteenth-century sources: 391 copyright-free illustrations for artists and designers by J.Harter, shelfmark 704.9424 WOM.
- Men: a pictorial archive from nineteenth-century sources: 412 copyright-free illustrations for artists and designers by J.Harter, shelfmark 704.9423 MEN.
If you use any images, video or audio please remember to attribute the work unless specified otherwise. In each instance always check the terms and conditions of use.
For example CC licences require users to attribute the original creator(s) of a work and recommend the following style.
For more information please contact the University Copyright Advisor:
email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or tel: 01509 222351.
Last updated by C. Greasley, 16th November 2017
1,943 total views, 0 views today