Doctoral College

Introducing your Doctoral Researcher President (2019-20)…

Written by Tom Baker.

Hello everyone! My name is Tom and I will act as the Doctoral Researcher President for the 2019-2020 academic year. Along with Rieman Rudra, we will do our best to ensure fellow DR’s are represented across the institution. I will primarily act as the liaising person in our duo attending various meetings such as the Doctoral College Sub-Committee, and the Research Council Meeting, to extend our views and inputs for the DR community progression.

A little about myself is perhaps in order:

• I come from the School of Aeronautical, Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering.

• I joined Loughborough in 2012 for my undergraduate in Materials Engineering. This was extended to a Master’s with an Industrial Placement year (gaining a Diploma in Industrial Studies) at a Swedish Mining company subsidiary. Finally, I graduated in 2017, when I also began my PhD here.

• My research focus is on cellulose and its nanocrystals in degradable polymer applications for sustainable plastics, which is something I am quite passionate about.

• I have previously acted (or still do act in some cases) as a society treasurer, Departmental Rep and School Lead Rep, University Teacher, and Student Ambassador for open days and outreach events.

Feel free to contact me via email (T.E.Baker@lboro.ac.uk) if there are any events, successes, or issues you’d like to raise on a wider level.

I hope that we all have a successful and productive year!