During this year’s Doctoral Wellbeing Fortnight, we asked Doctoral Researchers to contribute towards our PHooD blog series (PhD + Food = PHooD!) by sharing their ‘go-to’ recipes that are tasty and either quick to make and/or nutritious and/or cheap and/or comforting… enjoy!
Jollof Rice – Recipe by Tunmike Olowe
For more of Tunmike’s delicious recipes check out their Instagram food page @fooddairy_staysafe!
- 1 cup of Golden Sella basmati rice
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 scotch bonnet (optional)
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1tbsp of tomato puree
- 1tbsp of olive/vegetable oil
- Curry, salt, thyme, stock cubes (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Beef or chicken broth (to taste)
- Rinse basmati rice and set aside
- Blend tomatoes, 1 onion, scotch bonnet, garlic, and red pepper (blended pepper mix)
- Add 1tbsp of oil to a saucepan. Add in chopped onions and tomato puree (allow to fry till onion is caramelised).
- Add in blended pepper mix and broth
- Add in half a cup of water and season to satisfaction (allow the sauce to be tasty as the rice will soak it up)
- Allow the sauce mixture to boil for 5 mins
- Add in the rice and cook for 15mins on medium heat
- Reduce heat to low level and allow the steam to cook the rice for another 15mins
- Serve the Jollof rice with salad and choice of protein