During this year’s Doctoral Wellbeing Fortnight, we asked Doctoral Researchers to contribute towards our PHooD blog series (PhD + Food = PHooD!) by sharing their ‘go-to’ recipes that are tasty and either quick to make and/or nutritious and/or cheap and/or comforting… enjoy!
Chicken Sauce with Couscous– Recipe by Tunmike Olowe
For more of Tunmike’s delicious recipes check out their Instagram food page @fooddairy_staysafe!
- Diced chicken thighs/drumstick/breast
- Marinate chicken overnight with thyme, curry, stock cubes, salt, 1/2 scotch bonnet(optional), dry red pepper, turmeric, parsley, very small size of tomato, diced onions, and ginger
- 100g Mixed bell peppers and leek
- 1tsp Sweet chilli pepper sauce
- Ginger (to taste)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1tsp Olive oil
- 1tbsp Cornflour
- 1tsp Soy sauce
- 1tsp Tomato paste
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 100g Mixed veggies
- 1 small onion
- 100g Shrimps
- 1 cup Couscous
- Chop veggies (red, green , bell peppers, onion, leek, and tomato). Marinate with stock cube and soy sauce for about 20minutes.
- Add olive oil to a pan. Add in the marinated chicken and fry till it is ready or almost done.
- In a separate frying pan add in the chicken and sweet chilli pepper
- Add in the chopped veggies, tomato paste and a bit more soy sauce
- Mix cornflour in cold water and add to the sauce
- Stir, lower the heat and allow to simmer till it’s done (5 to 7 mins)
- Put olive oil into the pan used to fry the chicken for the sauce.
- Add in the shrimps, onions and mixed veggies and allow to fry for a few minutes then set it aside.
- In a pot add in the stock with water and allow to boil (it’s very important for the water to be very hot)
- Add in the couscous stir it, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave for 10minutes or according to the instructions on the pack.
- When the couscous is done add in the shrimps and veggies and stir with a fork.
- Serve with the chicken curry sauce and grilled chicken.