Internet Explorer 11 and Java 7 Update 55 to Windows 7 Service Staff PCs
Upgrades to IE and Java
What is happening
Internet Explorer 11 and Java 7 Runtime Environment Update 55 are being rolled out to Windows 7 Service staff PCs. These updates are critical for both the security and functionality of the Windows 7 Service. During the installation, Internet Explorer 9 and Java 6 will be removed. This will bring the staff service in line with the labs, which have been running these versions since the summer.
The updates have been thoroughly tested for compatibility with the University’s centrally supported corporate and student systems.
How will the works affect me?
The updates will be released as a combined deployment on the schedule below. The installation will take up to 15 minutes to install, followed by a reboot. All web browsers should be closed whilst the upgrade is in progress.
Installation will initially be postponable. The installation will then become mandatory on the date given below.
Should the user decline the update, they will be prompted again the following day or the user can run it from Control Panel -> Run Advertised Programs. Please note that we are unable to include this deployment in Check For Updates.
Following the installation and reboot, the PCs may install software updates for IE11 once a routine software scan has completed.
The deployment schedule will be as follows:
- Monday 15th December 2014 – IT Services (postponable)
- Wednesday 17th December 2014 – Academic Registry (postponable)
- Monday 12th January 2015 – All Professional Services and External departments (postponable)
- Monday 19th January 2015 – All Schools (postponable) and VDI services
- Monday 2nd February 2015 – Mandatory to all W7 Service staff PCs and added to Core Task Sequence for W7 Service staff PCs
The update will also be available to install via Run Advertised Programs at all times.
Please contact the IT Service Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>, 01509 222333.