Five minutes with: Nik Hunt
What’s your job title and how long have you worked at Loughborough?
I’m the Environmental Manager and have been here nearly 26 years in a variety of roles.
Tell us what a typical day in your job looks like?
I don’t tend to have a typical day as an Environmental Manager so it is probably best to explain how far-reaching the role is and the aspects I cover.
On any day I could be supporting embedding Environmental Sustainability across our campus. I also now support our work through the Civic Universities Agreement Environmental Sustainability theme group which means working with the other Leicestershire universities, community and councils.
My specific areas of expertise, responsibility and management include:
- Waste (general, clinical/biological and hazardous), recycling and resource management
- Management of the University’s ISO14001 accredited EMS (Environmental Management System) which is made up of the policies, processes, procedures and audits we undertake to ensure compliance
- Pollution prevention
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Sustainable Procurement: trying to assist the Procurement Team with tenders to reduce the environmental impact of what we buy
What’s your favourite project you have worked on?
I’ve worked on so many projects over the years it is hard to pick a favourite. In the past, I’ve enjoyed delivering projects involving software systems (Kx), infrastructure (the current door access system and ID cards) and environmental solutions (The Loughborough Cup) to name just three.
What is your proudest moment at Loughborough?
I have two – sorry I’m not good at picking one in 26 years!
1. Being a lead member of the Catering Services Team that won a CATEY Award (2007) for Best Use of Technology – the first University to ever win one.
2. Winning the BSIF Pollution Prevention Award (2020).
Tell us something you do outside of work that we might not know about?
I love adventure holidays. Whether it’s climbing mountains (Ben Nevis, Scafell, Snowdon and Toubkal), cycling, walking (West Highland Way and South Downs Way) or sailing.
What is your favourite quote?
“I haven’t been there yet…but it’s on my list of things to do.”
The Loughborough Life blog features all the latest events from across our campuses. Find out what's happening near you and get involved.