The Doctoral Loan – new for 2018!
Are you considering studying for a postgraduate research degree? The UK Government has recently introduced a new loan for doctoral researchers to help fund a PhD.
The loans enable you to borrow any amount up to £25,000, and this can be used to pay for your tuition fees or other costs associated with studying, such as accommodation or travel expenses.
The key details
Which courses are eligible?
- The loan is for doctoral degrees that start on or after 1 August 2018.
- The doctoral course must last between three and eight academic years.
- The course can be either full-time or part-time.
- You will not be able to claim for the loan if you will receive Research Council funding (for example, studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support).
How much can I borrow?
- You can choose to borrow up to £25,000.
- It’s also your choice how you spend the money, though the loan is intended to support the cost of fees, learning resources and/or living expenses.
- The loan is paid directly to you and is not based on your family’s income.
Who can apply?
- To get the loan, you must be living in England and intending to study at a UK University. UK nationals and those with settled status in the UK can apply, so long as they have been living in England for 3 years. EU, EEA or Swiss nationals living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland are also eligible, so long as they are intending to study at a UK University.
- You must also be under the age of 60 on the first day of your course.
When do I repay the loan?
- You are not required to repay any of the loan until you have finished or left your course and your income is over £21,000.
- Once you earn over this amount, the government will automatically take 6% of what you earn over the threshold.
- This will be combined with master’s loan debt, so you will only make one repayment every month.
Will I be charged interest?
- The interest rate on the loan is currently 6.1%.
- Interest will be charged at the Retail Price Index (RPI) plus 3% from the day you receive your first payment until the loan is paid in full.
When can I apply?
- Applications are now open! You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course. Further information about the loan and how to apply can be found on the UK Government website.
Loughborough University London
Blogging everything that’s happening at Loughborough University London