The Cash Learning Partnership (CaLP) has the pleasure to inform you that a scoping study on emergency cash transfer programming in the WaSH and shelter sectors is now available here.
The objective of this study is to take stock of the recent advancements in the use of cash transfer programming in the shelter and WaSH sectors to respond to emergencies and provide recommendations to encourage quality cash transfer programming at scale in those sectors. This study aims to identify themes for future research, advocacy, case studies, capacity building initiatives, and debates or other recommended activities related to cash transfer programming in shelter and settlements and WaSH programming.
Geogenic contamination handbook
You can download our handbook for free on the mitigation arsenic and fluoride in drinking water from: www.wrq.eawag.ch The handbook is a product of Eawag’s transdisciplinary water research team “Water Resource Quality” (WRQ) that worked on the mitigation of arsenic- and fluoride-contaminated drinking water for low- and middle-income countries from 2006 to 2012. The handbook includes guidelines on water sampling, an outline of available treatment technologies and also highlights the necessity of considering the institutional setting and the financial viability of drinking water services. It also provides guidelines on behavioural change in affected communities, while case studies illustrate integrated mitigation approaches. The manual is available in digital format, including relevant weblinks and attached resources.
From Sanitation Updates:
Posted: 22 Jan 2015 08:19 AM PST
Posted: 21 Jan 2015
Posted: 20 Jan 2015
Posted: 19 Jan 2015 05:09 AM PST
Posted: 16 Jan 2015 08:07 AM PST
Posted: 15 Jan 2015 11:13 AM PST
Posted: 11 Nov 2014 08:20 AM PST
Posted: 14 Jan 2015 07:19 AM PST
Bill Gates – This Ingenious Machine Turns Feces Into Drinking Water
Posted: 08 Jan 2015 11:38 AM PST
CLTS and Sustainability: A Work/Writeshop – Call for abstracts
Posted: 07 Jan 2015 05:19 AM PST
Alerts on WASH and Zoonotic Diseases
Posted: 06 Jan 2015 08:51 AM PST
Unilever to launch world’s first Toilet Academy in Vietnam
Jan 8, 2015 webinar – Multi-sectoral Approaches to Improve Child Growth, through WASH, Nutrition, and Early Childhood Development
Posted: 31 Dec 2014
Call for proposals: evaluation Sustainable Sanitation and Hygiene for All Programme in Cambodia
Posted: 22 Dec 2014 03:45 AM PST
2014 issues of the WASHplus Weekly
Posted: 19 Dec 2014 07:50 AM PST
PLoS One – Does Global Progress on Sanitation Really Lag behind Water?
Posted: 17 Dec 2014 07:47 AM PST
Grand Challenge: Putting Women and Girls at the Center of Development
Request for feedback on WASHplus knowledge management survey
BBC News – Poor water and hygiene ‘kills mothers and newborns’
Posted: 15 Dec 2014
WASHplus Weekly: Focus on WASH & Nutrition
Posted: 12 Dec 2014 06:45 AM PST
Urban Water Supply and Sanitation in Southeast Asia: A Guide to Good Practice
Open Defecation in India by Assa Doron and Robin Jeffrey
Posted: 10 Dec 2014 10:51 AM PST
From email alerts:
VOL 16; SUPP 2 (2014) ISSN 1366-7017
- pp.121-136 Toxic injustice in the Bangladesh water sector: a social inequities perspective on arsenic contamination Rammelt, C.; Masud, Z.; Boes, J.; Masud, F.
- pp.78-96 Water governance and social justice in Sao Paulo, Brazil Haglund, L.
- pp.19-35 Fairness and justice in Indigenous water allocations: insights from Northern Australia Nikolakis, W.; Grafton, R.Q.
WATER AND ENVIRONMENT JOURNAL
December 2014 Volume 28, Issue 4
- Equity in water supply in intermittent water distribution networks (pages 509–515)
Prasad V. K. S. V. Gottipati and Umamahesh V. Nanduri
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2013 | DOI: 10.1111/wej.12065
- Emerging categories of urban shared sanitation (pages 592–608)
Adrien Mazeau, Brian Reed, Kevin Sansom and Rebecca Scott
Article first published online: 22 DEC 2013 | DOI: 10.1111/wej.12075
JOURNAL OF WATER AND HEALTH
VOL 12; NUMB 4 (2014) ISSN 1477-8920
- pp.634-655 A systematic review of waterborne disease burden methodologies from developed countries Murphy, H.M.; Pintar, K.D.M.; McBean, E.A.; Thomas, M.K.
- pp.663-669 Assessing point-of-use ultraviolet disinfection for safe water in urban developing communities Barstow, C.K.; Dotson, A.D.; Linden, K.G.
- pp.670-677 A novel point-of-use water treatment method by antimicrobial nanosilver textile material Liu, H.; Tang, X.; Liu, Q.
- pp.791-802 An assessment of boiling as a method of household water treatment in South India Juran, L.; MacDonald, M.C.
- pp.885-895 Issues in access to safe drinking water and basic hygiene for persons with physical disabilities in rural Cambodia MacLeod, M.; Pann, M.; Cantwell, R.; Moore, S.
- ANNALS- ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN GEOGRAPHERS VOL 104; NUMB 5 (2014) pp.989-1011 Informal Urban Sanitation: Everyday Life, Poverty, and Comparison McFarlane, C.; Desai, R.; Graham, S.
- PLoS Medicine Vol. 11; No. 12 (2014) From Joint Thinking to Joint Action: A Call to Action on Improving Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Maternal and Newborn Health Velleman, Yael; Mason, Elizabeth; Graham, Wendy; Benova, Lenka; Chopra, Mickey; Campbell, Oona M. R.
- PLoS ONE Vol. 9; No. 12 (2014) Does Global Progress on Sanitation Really Lag behind Water? An Analysis of Global Progress on Community- and Household-Level Access to Safe Water and Sanitation Cumming, Oliver; Elliott, Mark; Overbo, Alycia; Bartram, Jamie
- LOCAL ENVIRONMENT VOL 20; ISSU 3 (2015) pp.335-349 Bypassing the flush, creating new resources: analysing alternative sanitation futures in London Teh, T.-H.
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH RESEARCH VOL 25; ISSU 1 (2015) pp.81-95 Assessing demand for improved sustainable sanitation in low-income informal settlements of urban areas: a critical review Okurut, K.; Kulabako, R.N.; Chenoweth, J.; Charles, K.
- WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS WATER VOL 2; NUMB 1 (2015) pp.9-20 Talking shit: is Community-Led Total Sanitation a radical and revolutionary approach to sanitation? Galvin, M.
- ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING A VOL 46; NUMB 12 (2014) pp.2816-2833 Citizenshit: the right to flush and the urban sanitation imaginary del Carmen Morales, M.; Harris, L.; Oberg, G.