Items of possible interest:
New CLTS implementation narrative + video from the Water Institute at UNC and Plan International USA (14/01/2016)
Title: Plan International Ethiopia: Teacher- Facilitated Community-Led Total Sanitation
- Summary: The Testing CLTS Approaches for Scalability project is a four year, sanitation-focused, operational research project that aims to advance rural sanitation efforts by improving the cost-effectiveness and scalability of the CLTS approach, with a particular focus on the role of local actors. In Ethiopia, the project assesses teacher‐facilitated CLTS as an alternative to the conventional facilitation approach led by health extension workers (HEWs). This Implementation Narrative accordingly reflects this process and introduces project team analysis of factors that enabled and constrained implementation. It is our aim that, should other practitioner-oriented organizations be interested in applying this adaptation of the CLTS approach, they can do so by following the steps laid out in this report.
- Link to original post (+video): http://waterinstitute.unc.edu/plan-international-ethiopia-teacher-facilitated-community-led-total-sanitation/
Link to YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezyL_mgtBes
As 2016 Begins, UN Calls for Delivering on SDGs
January 2016: The world officially commenced implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development on 1 January 2016, with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) succeeding the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which expired on 31 December 2015. On the occasion, the UN highlighted the importance of partnerships and international solidarity in implementing the 2030 Agenda, and called for sharing experiences and tracking progress, including through an Annual SDG Progress Report.
WASH in health care facilities
This website, led by WHO and UNICEF with input from a range of partners, serves as a hub for the latest knowledge and tools for improving WASH in health care facilities, provides advocacy messages and materials for use by a wide group of stakeholders and showcases global and national improvement initiatives and the lessons learned from such efforts. The site should provide an opportunity for dialogue between stakeholders, to share information and progress on the global work plan which helps support the efforts of the four task teams.
From Sanitation Updates:
Posted: 25 Jan 2016 02:13 AM PST
- Topic of the Week – WASH and Nutrition
- Waste not, want not: 8 surprising uses for your poo
- UNICEF – Water, sanitation, and hygiene, champions in Afghanistan
- Standard for Sewage Treatment Plants in Developing Countries
Posted: 21 Jan 2016
Posted: 19 Jan 2016 01:31 AM PST
Posted: 18 Jan 2016 06:59 AM PST
Posted: 15 Jan 2016 06:32 AM PST
- Creating Music and Inspiration From What We Throw Away
- Despite Sanitation Tech, Parasites Spread During Roman Empire
- WSSCC and FANSA Report Urges Action to Address the Sanitation and Hygiene Needs of Women, Adolescent Girls, the Elderly, Persons with Disabilities and the Sanitation Workforce workers
Posted: 11 Jan 2016
Posted: 08 Jan 2016
Posted: 07 Jan 2016
Posted: 06 Jan 2016
Posted: 05 Jan 2016 08:26 AM PST
- Resources on Microfinance for WASH – Improve International
- 2015 – The year that embraced menstruation and brought innovation to women world over
- Innovative Solutions for Access to Sanitation, SKF Conference
- An Exposome Perspective to Environmental Enteric Dysfunction
- Hygiene needs of incontinence sufferers
Posted: 04 January 2016
From email alerts:
- ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT VOL 187; NUMB 10 (2015) pp.1-16 Impact assessment of on-site sanitation system on groundwater quality in alluvial settings:A case study from Lucknow city in North India Jangam, C.; Ramya Sanam, S.; Chaturvedi, M. K.; Padmakar, C.; Pujari, P. R.; Labhasetwar, P. K.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE AND MEDICINE VOL 147; (2015) pp.72-79 Effectiveness of group discussions and commitment in improving cleaning behaviour of shared sanitation users in Kampala, Uganda slums Tumwebaze, I. K.; Mosler, H. J.
- WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS WATER VOL 3; NUMB 1 (2016) pp.19-24 From toilet insecurity to toilet security:creating safe sanitation for women and girls O’Reilly, K.
- BMC Public Health Vol. 16; (2016) Are village health sanitation and nutrition committees fulfilling their roles for decentralised health planning and action? A mixed methods study from rural eastern India Srivastava, Aradhana; Gope, Rajkumar; Nair, Nirmala; Rath, Shibanand; Rath, Suchitra; Sinha, Rajesh;
WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT -DORDRECHT-
VOL 29; NUMB 15 (2015)
- pp.5429-5450 Comprehensive Methodology for Overall Performance Assessment of Water Utilities Nafi, A.; Tcheng, J.; Beau, P.
Urban water journal
VOL 11; NUMB 5 (2014)
- pp.361-369 Overview and feasibility of advanced grey water treatment systems for single households Jabornig, Simon
Urban water journal
VOL 10; NUMB 2 (2013)
- pp.85-96 A financial economic model for urban water pricing in Brazil Mesquita, Arlan Mendes; Ruiz, Ricardo Machado
- pp.97-104 Negotiating marginalities:right to water in Delhi Roy, Deya
- pp.105-111 Evaluation of residential rainfall harvesting systems in Jordan Abu-Zreig, Majed; Hazaymeh, Ayat; Shatanawi, Muhammad
- pp.112-126 Rainwater harvesting in the UK:exploring water-user perceptions Ward, Sarah; Barr, Stewart; Memon, Fayyaz; Butler, David
- pp.127-143 Cost-effectiveness-based multi-criteria optimization for sustainable rainwater utilization:A case study in Shanghai Lu, Yong Peng; Yang, Kai; Che, Yue; Shang, Zhao Yi; Zhu, Hui Feng; Jian, Yun
Urban water journal
VOL 11; NUMB 3 (2014)
- pp.185-197 Sustainable development and urban stormwater practice Cettner, Annicka; Ashley, Richard; Hedstrom, Annelie; Viklander, Maria
- pp.198-210 Water use, sanitation and health in a fragmented urban water system:case study and household survey Neumann, Luis E.; Moglia, Magnus; Cook, Stephen; Nguyen, Minh N.; Sharma, Ashok K.; Nguyen, Trung H.
- pp.231-239 Socio-economic acceptance of rooftop rainwater harvesting – A case study Barthwal, Sunil; Chandola-Barthwal, Shivani; Goyal, Hemant; Nirmani, Bhanu; Awasthi, Bhawana
- pp.240-251 From intermittent to continuous water distribution:a proposed conceptual approach and a case study of Béni Abbès (Algeria) Klingel, Philipp; Nestmann, Franz
Urban water journal
VOL 10; NUMB 6 (2013)
- pp.377-393 Revising the existing Performance Indicator system for small water supply utilities in Japan Shinde, Victor Rana; Hirayama, Nagahisa; Mugita, Ai; Itoh, Sadahiko
- pp.434-446 A case study of urban water balancing in the partly sewered city of Nablus-East (Palestine) to study wastewater pollution loads and groundwater pollution Borst, Barbara; Mahmoud, Nidal J.; van der Steen, N. Peter; Lens, Piet N.L.
VOL 86; (2015)
pp.116-121 Multi-purpose rainwater harvesting for water resource recovery and the cooling effect An, K. J.; Lam, Y. F.; Hao, S.; Morakinyo, T. E.; Furumai, H.
VOL 87; (2015)
pp.237-270 Spoilt for choice:A critical review on the chemical and biological assessment of current wastewater treatment technologies Prasse, C.; Stalter, D.; Schulte-Oehlmann, U.; Oehlmann, J. r.; Ternes, T. A.
pp.59-68 Are fecal indicator bacteria appropriate measures of recreational water risks in the tropics:A cohort study of beach goers in Brazil? Lamparelli, C. C.; Pogreba-Brown, K.; Verhougstraete, M.; Sato, M. I.; de Castro Bruni, A.; Wade, T.
VOL 39; NUMB 3
pp.277-293 Water, sanitation and hygiene and indigenous peoples:a review of the literature Jimenez, Alejandro; Cortobius, Moa; Kjellen, Marianne
pp.294-314 Development aid and access to water and sanitation in Sub-Saharan Africa Salami, Adeleke O.; Stampini, Marco; Kamara, Abdul B.; Sullivan, Caroline A.; Namara, Regassa
VOL 39; NUMB 5
pp.606-619 Subsidizing the sustainability of rural water supply:the experience of the Brazilian rural rainwater-harvesting programme Gomes, Uende A. F.; Heller, Leo; Cairncross, Sandy; Domenech, Laia; Pena, Jo?o L.
pp.725-742 Ten building blocks for sustainable water governance:an integrated method to assess the governance of water van Rijswick, Marleen; Edelenbos, Jurian; Hellegers, Petra; Kok, Matthijs; Kuks, Stefan