An interim ‘catch up’ blog!
From Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Health Newsletters 220 & 221:
JMP Thematic Report on Safely Managed Drinking Water Services available online
The JMP has published a thematic report, describing plans for monitoring “safely managed drinking water services”, the global indicator for SDG Target 6.1 on drinking water. The first section of the report examines the SDG vision for universal access and the specific language used in the formulation of global targets. New ‘ladders’ for monitoring drinking water services at home, at school and in health facilities are presented, together with proposals for enhanced monitoring of inequalities and affordability. The second section examines the availability of data on the different elements of safely managed drinking water services and discusses challenges associated with combining data from different sources in order to track the progressive elimination of inequalities and global progress towards the SDG target. The report is available from the JMP website: https://www.wssinfo.org/sdg-baselines/safely-managed-drinking-water-services/
Publication of the Guidelines for drinking-water quality, fourth edition incorporating the first addendum.
WHO’s Guidelines for drinking-water quality (GDWQ) provide an international reference point for the setting of national or regional regulations and standards for drinking-water quality to protect public health. This first addendum updates the fourth edition of the GDWQ to reflect new evidence and provide additional explanations to support better understanding and application of the guidance.
Journal of Water and Health
WHO and IWA Publishing collaborate in the Journal of Water and Health (http://jwh.iwaponline.com/)
Click on the links below to view abstracts of selected papers included in the latest issue of the journal http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/15/1:
Psychosocial impacts of the lack of access to water and sanitation in low- and middle-income countries: a scoping review Elijah Bisung; Susan J. Elliott http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/15/1/17
Accuracy, precision, usability, and cost of portable silver test methods for ceramic filter factories Rhiana D. Meade; Anna L. Murray; Anjuliee M. Mittelman; Justine Rayner; Daniele S. Lantagne http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/15/1/72
Ceramic pot filters lifetime study in coastal Guatemala Salvinelli; A. C. Elmore; B. R. García Hernandez; K. D. Drake http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/15/1/145
From Sanitation Updates:
Posted: 08 Mar 2017 02:42 AM PST
Posted: 07 Mar 2017 02:36 AM PST
Posted: 06 Mar 2017
Posted: 03 Mar 2017 11:20 AM PST
Posted: 02 Mar 2017 06:24 AM PST
Posted: 28 Feb 2017 08:25 AM PST
Posted: 22 Feb 2017
Posted: 21 Feb 2017 06:44 AM PST
From journal email alerts:
Development in practice
VOL 26; NUMB 3 (2016)
- pp.334-345 Responsive planning in development interventions:consulting rights-holders in the Sanitized Villages programme in Kongo Central Destrooper, Tine
- pp.346-359 International development institutions and the challenges of urbanisation:the case of Jakarta Essex, Jamey
WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT -DORDRECHT-
VOL 31; NUMB 3 (2017)
- pp.781-792 Desalination of Seawater using Geothermal Energy to Meet Future Fresh Water Demand of Saudi Arabia Chandrasekharam, D.; Lashin, A.; Arifi, N.; Bassam, A.; Varun, C.
From email alerts (sanitation in the title):
- Population studies VOL 70; NUMB 2 (2016) pp.163-179 The impact of water supply and sanitation on infant mortality:Individual-level evidence from Tartu, Estonia, 1897–1900 Jaadla, Hannaliis; Puur, Allan
- Parasites & Vectors Vol. 10; (2017) Association of community sanitation usage with soil-transmitted helminth infections among school-aged children in Amhara Region, Ethiopia Oswald, William E.; Stewart, Aisha E. P.; Kramer, Michael R.; Endeshaw, Tekola; Zerihun, Mulat; Mela
- PLoS ONE Vol. 12; No. 2 (2017) A long way to go – Estimates of combined water, sanitation and hygiene coverage for 25 sub-Saharan African countries Roche, Rachel; Bain, Robert; Cumming, Oliver
- Trends in parasitology VOL 32; NUMB 9 (2016) pp.661-664 School Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene to Reduce the Transmission of Schistosomes and Soil-Transmitted Helminths Grimes, Jack E.T.; Templeton, Michael R.
- ANTIPODE VOL 49; NUMB 1 (2017) pp.125-148 The Poolitical City:-Seeing Sanitation- and Making the Urban Political in Cape Town McFarlane, C.; Silver, J.