Future Space: How can we help you?
Welcome to the Student Support Services spotlight series! In this series, we will introduce you to all our of Student Support Services and let you know how we can offer you support during your studies at Loughborough University London.
In this blog, meet our Future Space team and find out how we can support your employability and skill development.
Hello, my name is Grace Baird and I work in the Future Space team at Loughborough University London. My role is to ensure our Digital Skills programme and wider team activities and events run effectively whilst supporting our students. As a member of the Future Space team and former student, I’ve written this blog to let you all know how to get the best out of the Future Space offer and your time at Loughborough.
What is Future Space?
Future Space exists to support you to connect to your future. We can help you with your ideas and your next step in your career. We can help you reflect on your skills and experience, set goals and access new opportunities that will enhance your CV, entrepreneurial abilities, and career prospects alongside your academic studies.
What Organisations Do We Work With?
- Chelsea FC
- Tech Mahindra
- West Ham United Foundation
…and many more.
What Sort of Events / Activities Do We Offer You?
The Future Space Team hosts a wide range of events and activities focusing on a range of topics including:
- Growing your Network
- Gaining Experience
- Developing New Skills
- Receiving Advice on Starting your Own Business
- Career Planning and Support
The Future Space activities are split into three categories:
Reflection and Action
Examples: Workshops, Additional Programmes and Training
The Digital Skills Programme
One of the many opportunities our students can get involved with is the Digital Skills programme. The Digital Skills programme provides an opportunity for our students to gain skills to support their employability and take on 6-week work insight projects with real companies and attend workshops to boost your digital skills. Our students can apply to take part in the Digital Skills programme now with work-insight projects commencing in October 2021.
To apply, please go to the ‘Apply for the Digital Skills Programme’ section of our LEARN page here: Please note that both the application form and video interview parts need to be completed for students to be eligible for a work-insight Project.
How Do I Get Involved?
The great news is – you already are. In completing your registration, you will have filled in our Personal Best London questionnaire. This will help us to make recommendations for you on activities to get involved with this year. We will e-mail you with information and invitations to relevant activities and resources based on your Personal Best London Questionnaire responses early in Semester 1.
The Future Space Team will also be hosting a range of Induction Events including our online ‘Future Space Welcome Panel’ on Tuesday 28th September 2021 (15:00 to 16.30 UK Time). You can book a place at this event here
The full schedule for Future Space induction activities can be viewed here.
You can access these sessions either in person or online and sign up is required (Please note that there are capacity limits on in person activities and spaces will be given on a first come, first served basis).
Once you have signed up, the team will share joining instructions with you via your @student.lboro.ac.uk email address.
Other upcoming opportunities include:
- Monday Mentoring – need help setting goals? Need more help sticking to them? Our industry mentors are here to help.
- Digital Skills Work Insight Projects – The Digital Skills programme is a two-part program which gives you the opportunity to attend workshops specifically designed to help you develop your digital skills (e.g., blogging, project management, UX Design) and you can also put your skills into practice and complete a 30hr virtual project with a London SME.
- Collaborative Project – A feature of many of our programmes, this module offers you the chance to grow your network and make industry connections as part of a group of students to address and develop solutions for a real business problem provided by one of our partners
- 1-2-1 Careers Appointments – Our careers consultants offer 1-2-1 career appointments to support our students and recent graduates (e.g., CV advice and interview guidance)
- Thinking of starting a business or consultancy? Our LEN team can help to spark your ideas and fan your flames of inspiration. You can sign up for the LEN newsletter here.
Where can you find the Future Space Team?
We are on the ground floor at the far end. We are on the web here – we love to hear from our students.
This blog is part of the Student Support Services spotlight series. To read other blogs in this series, please visit the blog home page.
To find out more about Future Space, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loughborough University London
Blogging everything that’s happening at Loughborough University London