Health and Wellbeing Blog

Other Blogs

How music is helping people in lockdown

19 June 2020

3 mins

Although concerts and festivals are on hold, that’s not stopping people from enjoying and playing music.

Twitch, Facebook and Instagram are all being used to livestream concerts – from big names to local bands, there’s plenty of music to choose from. This particular Twitch channel has a schedule full of artists who are performing at-home concerts.

If you’re considering a new creative outlet now might be a good time to dust off that guitar you bought on a whim and start learning. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube to get you started.

If singing is more your thing, Gareth Malone is running a choir that can be joined from the comfort of your own home.

From a personal perspective, music has really helped to keep my mind occupied, helped me focus when I need to be productive and helped me connect with loved ones.

Outside of work, I’m a singer, and I really miss going to my local open mics and playing gigs. I’ve been taking part in Instagram live gigs, and every week my dad video calls me and we play guitar and sing together. This has helped me to stay connected to people through music and I’ve found preparing for these online gigs is helping me to stay creative.

Loughborough staff and students have also given me some great recommendations and told me about how they are using music to help in lockdown:

Productivity

• This Music for Concentration playlist on Spotify was a popular recommendation.
  • Dr Jenna Townend, REF Impact Coordinator, recommended Ludovico Einaudi for concentration as the instrumental music helps her focus.

Staying connected

• Several people suggested making collaborative playlists with friends, colleagues and loved ones. This is a lovely way to recommend new music to each other and remind your loved ones that you are thinking of them.
  • Listening to radio is another way of connecting to people outside of your home. Although, make sure you are not overexposing yourself to the constant stream of news as this can have a negative impact on mental wellbeing.
  • The kitchen team told me that their chosen radio station varies from 70s classics to Radio One Xtra’s Skank Sessions depending on who is on shift. It was great to hear that spirits are still high on campus.

Relaxation

• Samuel McGinty from the Vice Chancellor’s Office suggested London Grammar’s ‘Truth is a Beautiful Thing’ album for unwinding.
  • Spotify also has a whole Wellness section on its platform. It includes guided meditations, relaxing instrumentals and helpful podcasts.

Staying positive

• Student Ambassador Coordinator, Jess Excell suggested the BBC Radio singalong broadcast every Thursday. Jess and her mum have been tuning in every week to get a boost of positivity.
  • Ally McDonald Alonso, Executive Recruitment and Strategic Projects Manager, said that playing the piano as well as listening to music has been helping to keep her occupied.

Music is a large part of many people’s lives and putting on your favourite songs can sometimes help to boost your mood, help you relax or aid productivity when you have tasks to complete.

Remember that the University offers a range of wellbeing support and guidance for staff and students.

Student Services have put together a series of videos to help support you at this time with further advice on how to keep your mind and body healthy. Staff can also access mental health resources via the Employee Assistance Programme and the staff wellbeing page.

Health and Wellbeing

Wellbeing means being in a positive physical, social and mental state. Wellbeing is important to us as happy, healthy people who achieve harmony in their work / life mix are more creative, productive and help to create a great place to work.

Scroll to Top