Health and Wellbeing Blog

Other Blogs

How to get the best from spending time in nature

19 July 2023

6 mins

The natural world is a fundamental pillar of my wellbeing. As Assistant Gardens Manager, I probably spend more time outside than the average person but often this is not quality time in nature. For this, I set aside regular times in the week to enjoy nature and appreciate how it enriches my life. 

Personally, forests and woods are my boltholes. I love to watch the changing of the seasons, hear the different birds, and see how the foliage changes over the year. Trees are brilliant for mental wellbeing, with evidence suggesting that chemicals they release into the air produce a calming effect on our brains – no wonder I love the woods! Below, I have put together some tips on how you might get the best from spending time in nature and how you can adapt this to your individual circumstances.

Make nature part of your routine

Ideally, you want to spend some time in a green space each day. I do Tai chi in the garden most days where I use the flowers, bumblebees, and even long grass as a focus for my mind. At least once a week, I walk through the nearby ancient woodland. I like to do this later in the evening when the wood is quiet of dog walkers and the oblique light passing through the canopy creates a sense of magic. Discover walking routes to explore on campus.

Meditate in nature

On one of my evening walks in the woods I have a favourite place to stop. Here I spend 10-15 minutes connecting with the world around me. I use my senses to direct my mind. Starting with sight, I observe the woodland around me. Each evening I seem to be able to spot something I’ve never seen before, but a lot of what I see is reassuringly familiar. This is a space I know well and feel safe in. I then move to smell. Sometimes the forest has distinct smells – particularly after rain. Other times it smells of not much. However, I always breathe it in through my nose trying to discern the faintest hues in the air. Next, I listen to the forest. I usually do this with my eyes closed to concentrate on the sound. The wood can be quite noisy first thing in the morning or last thing at night. However, even in quieter times, it’s quite a lively place. I do not worry if my ears focus on a distant dog and its owner – the important thing is to notice rather than to judge what you hear. Touch is last.  Again, I keep my eyes shut. I feel the wind on my face, perhaps the log I’m sitting on, the occasional insect walking on my leg. There’s a surprising amount to feel in one place.

Make notes on what you see

The benefit you get from nature will be deepened by learning about what you see. Personally, I love to name what I see. I take lots of photos and use identification guides to find out about what I see. However, you don’t need to know the name of every species that you see. You can equally benefit from writing notes about how the sights in the wood make you feel. You could paint or draw. Your creative energies can flow using nature as your inspiration. Focus on the beauty of nature and how it makes you feel. The art doesn’t need to be literal; it can be abstract and provocative. The interaction between your senses and emotions and the natural world can draw meaning and insight.

Care for nature

We are often bombarded by negative news stories about nature and it can sometimes feel like this is the ‘last opportunity to see’. Take control by doing positive things for nature. Volunteer once a month to help wildlife, such as through The Wildlife Trusts, RSPB or Woodland Trust. Plant flowers in your garden that attract bees and butterflies. Put up a bug hotel. Volunteer to monitor bumblebee or butterfly numbers on campus. Make a pond. Feed the birds. The possibilities are endless, and the feeling that you are making a positive difference in the world can be a great counter to all that negativity.

When it rains

You’ve probably realised that all these things sound amazing in great weather, but when it rains the last thing you’re going to want to do is go out. Also, winter can be quite cold and not all of us are equally mobile. For this, try a digital nature visit. When it rains, I play forest sounds in the house whilst doing Tai chi. I shut my eyes and imagine I’m in the heart of the wood – focusing on the birds and rustling of leaves. Alternatively, you can use positive self-guided imagery to recreate being in nature. For this, find a quiet spot at home and shut your eyes. Imagine the scene in nature. This could be sitting on a warm beach looking at the waves lapping, or a walk through a woodland clearing. Again, try to imagine how the scene engages your different senses. This virtual immersion in nature creates time out of your busy day and fills the gap till you can get out and about again.

I hope that you can incorporate some or all of these suggestions into your life. If you’re starting from none or very little interaction with nature, then start with something simple and embed that in your life. Feeding the birds and noticing which species visit your garden or your local park each day might be a good starting point. Equally, practicing a nature meditation in your garden or a nearby green space once a day (or even indoors next to a window in bad weather) will promote great wellbeing habits around nature.

People can also support the wellbeing you derive from nature. Sharing the experience of being in the natural world and appreciating it can be very positive. However, take care that the experience isn’t counterproductive. For example, spending a 20-minute lunchtime walk on campus with a colleague moaning about work is not going to have any benefits.

If you embed nature into your life and appreciate all it can offer, I am confident that you will see improvements in your mental and physical wellbeing. I look forward to meeting you one day on a forest walk and sharing our stories of natural beauty.

Rich Fenn-Griffin
Assistant Gardens Manager

Health and Wellbeing

Wellbeing means being in a positive physical, social and mental state. Wellbeing is important to us as happy, healthy people who achieve harmony in their work / life mix are more creative, productive and help to create a great place to work.

Scroll to Top