This reading list will hopefully give you a flavour of some of the issues and solutions we discuss at the Meeting the Reading List Challenge events. If you know of any useful additions to this list then please let us know.
- CLARKE, Chris (2009) A Resource List Management Tool for Undergraduate Students Based on Linked Open Data Principles, in The Semantic Web: Research and Applications, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp 697-707, ISBN 978-3-642-02120-6.
- THOMPSON, Lisa, MAHON, Claire and THOMAS, Linda (2004) Reading lists – how do you eat yours?, in Learning and Teaching Projects 2003-2004, Centre for Learning and Teaching University of Wolverhampton, pp 57-62, ISBN 0954211642.
- SINGER, Helen and BILSON, Jane (2018) Assessing the impact on the student experience of embedding information resources in the Guided Learner Journey at the University of Hertfordshire, Ariadne, 78, ISSN: 1361-3200.
- HARPER, Polly and JAMES, Ann-Marie (2017) Transforming student learning through ResourceLits@Bham, SCONUL Focus, 68, pp. 64-67, ISSN: 1745-5790.
- McGUINN, Kate, STONE, Graham, SHARMAN, Alison and DAVISON, Emily (2017) Student reading lists: evaluating the student experience at the University of Huddersfield, The Electronic Library, 35(2), ISSN 0264-0473.
- CAMERON, Cleo and SIDDALL, Gillian (2016) Opening lines of communication: book ordering and reading lists, the academics view, New Review of Academic Librarianship, ISSN 1361-4533
- O’NEILL, Marie and MUSTO, Lara (2016) Faculty Perceptions of Loughborough’s Online Reading List System (LORLS) at Dublin Business School (DBS), New Review of Academic Librarianship, ISSN: 1740-7834. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- SIDDALL, Gillian (2016) University academics’ perceptions of reading list labels, New Library World, 117(7/8), pp. 440-448, ISSN: 0307-4803. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- CAMERON, Cleo and SIDDALL, Gillian (2015) Academic staff perceptions and use of reading lists for book ordering, SCONUL Focus, 64, pp. 41-44, ISSN: 1745-5790.
- CROSS, Richard (2015) Implementing a resource list management system in an academic library, The Electronic Library, 33(2), pp.210-223, ISSN: 0264-0473.
- BREWERTON, Gary (2014) Implications of Student and Lecturer Qualitative Views on Reading Lists: A Case Study at Loughborough University, UK, New Review of Academic Librarianship, 20(1), pp. 78-90, ISSN: 1361-4533.
- SIDDALL, Gillian and ROSE, Hannah (2014) Reading lists – time for a reality check? An investigation into the use of reading lists as a pedagogical tool to support the development of information skills amongst Foundation Degree students, Library and Information Research, 38 (118), pp 52-73, ISSN 1756-1086.
- BREWERTON, Gary (2013) Implementing a Resource or Reading List Management System, Ariadne, 71, ISSN: 1361-3200.
- COOPER, Jason, KNIGHT, Jon and BREWERTON, Gary (2013) Providing Information about Reading Lists via a Dashboard Interface, Code4Lib, 19, ISSN: 1940-5758.
- GAVILLET, Mark (2013) Keeping it simple works for everyone, CILIP’s Annual Buyers Guide Directory, 2013, pp. 5-6, ISSN 1476-7872.
- GAVILLET, Mark (2013) Please Sir, can I have some more?, Panlibus Magazine, 27, p. 16.
- KNIGHT, Jon, BREWERTON, Gary and COOPER, Jason (2013) Automating Library Stock Ordering from Reading Lists, D-Lib, 19, ISSN: 1082-9873.
- PISCIONERI, Matthew and HLAVAC, Jim (2013) The minimalist reading model: Rethinking reading lists in arts and education subjects, Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, 12(4), pp. 424-445, ISSN 1474-0222.
- BEVAN, Nick (2012) Preliminary to reading, THE, 23 February 2012.
- HALLIDAY, Karen (2012) Running an effective reading-list service, Panlibus Magazine, 26, p. 22.
- KNIGHT, Jon, COOPER, Jason and BREWERTON, Gary (2012) Redeveloping the Loughborough Online Reading List System, Ariadne, 69, ISSN: 1361-3200.
- ATKINSON, Stephen, CONWAY, Nicola and TAYLORSON, Ben (2010) Reading lists – pitching it right!, SCONUL Focus, 50, pp.75-97, ISSN 1745-5782.
- CHAD, Ken (2010) A Perspective on Resource List Management, Library & Information Update, June 2012, pp. 39-41, ISSN 2046-0406.
- PERRETT, Valerie (2010) Information Literacy Skills Training: a Factor in Student Satisfaction With Access to High Demand Material, The Australian Library Journal, 59 (1-2), pp. 23-29, ISSN 0004-9670. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- STEPHENS, Owen (2010) Referencing Made Easy: Technology Enhanced Learning Supporting STudents to Achieve Academic Rigour (TELSTAR) Project, SCONUL Focus, 50, p. 60, ISSN 1745-5782.
- STOKES, Peter and MARTIN, Lindsey (2008) Reading lists: a study of tutor and student perceptions, expectations and realities, Studies in Higher Education, 33(2), pp. 113-125, ISSN 0307-5079. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- MORGAN, Rachael (2007) The online reading list project using Talis List at the University of Glamorgan, Program: electronic library and information systems, 41(3), pp. 262-275, ISSN 0033-0337. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- SECKER, Jane and PRICE, Gwyneth (2007) Libraries, social software and distance learners: Blog it, tag it, share it!, New Review of Information Networking, 13(1), pp. 39-52, ISSN 1361-4576. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- CHELIN, J., MCEACHRAN, M. and WILLIAMS, E. (2005) Five hundred into 4 won’t go – how to solve the problem of reading list expectations. SCONUL Focus, 36, pp. 49-51, ISSN 1745-5782
- SECKER, Jane (2005) DELIVERing library resources to the virtual learning environment, Program: electronic library and information systems, 39(1), pp. 39-49, ISSN 0033-0337. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article and also erroneously refers to LORLS as bookwork.
- BOYLE, Frances (2004) The JIBS Workshop on Resource/Reading List Software – the Reality, Ariadne, 41, ISSN: 1361-3200.
- BREWERTON, Gary and KNIGHT, Jon (2003) From local project to open source: a brief history of the Loughborough Online Reading List System (LORLS), VINE, 33(4), pp.189-195, ISSN: 0305-5728.
- SHERWOOD, Karen and LOVECY, Ian (1997) The provision of recommended reading in an academic library, Library Management, 18(8), pp. 356-360, ISSN 0143-5124. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- STOPFORTH, Carolyn (1994) Provision of Reading List Texts in an Academic Library, Library Management, 15(3), pp. 14-20, ISSN 0143-5124. Note: requires subscription to access fulltext of article.
- SADEH, Tamar and FLETCHER, Janet (2016) A global and institutional resource-list repository: a treasure trove for deriving new insights and providing innovative services, VALA2016, Melbourne.
- TATHAM, Suzanne and KEENE, Chris (2014) “Gloriously straightforward!”: removing barriers to resource discovery, 2nd CILIP ARLG Study Conference – The Final Frontier, Sussex.
- SULTANY, Ajmal and HALFORD, Samantha (2013) Using a techno-scepticism framework to evaluate the perception and acceptance of a new online reading list, IADIS International Conference on Information Systems 2013.
- ROSE, Hannah and SIDDALL, Gillian (2012) Reading lists – time for a reality check?, Librarians’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC 2012), Glasgow.
- CHAD, Ken (2018) The rise of library centric reading list systems
- BEASLEY, Rose (2016) An Exploration of Disciplinary Differences in the Use of Talis at the University of Auckland.
- SAVAGE, Janet, VICKERS, Roy, FORBES, Shona and SHERWIN, Anne (2016) Reading behaviour project report 2016: ‘Digital Magpies’ – the academic reading habits of undergraduate students.
- POULTER, Elliot and POULTER, James (2012) Introduction to engagement with reading lists systems.
- DERVEN, Caleb (2011) Evaluating Services and Specifications for Reading List Systems.
- CLARKE, Chris and GREIG, Fiona (2009) Case Study: A Linked Open Data Resource List Management Tool for Undergraduate Students.
- JONES, Huw (2009) Reading Lists in Cambridge: A Standard System?
- Loughborough University Library Systems Team. 9/4/2013. LORLS Development Diary.
- Owen Stephens. 9/4/2013. Overdue ideas.
- Talis Education Limited. 9/4/2013. Talis Aspire.
- University of Huddesfield. 9/4/2013. MyReading Project.
- Higher Education Library Technology. 29/4/2014. Reading Resource Lists. Note: has a great table showing who uses what systems (including reading list management systems).
- READING-LIST-SOLUTIONS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK (Mailing list for users and developers of reading list solutions)