Would you like to be a mentor for a local secondary student?
Could you mentor a local secondary student helping them to reach their potential during the next academic year?
The Student Outreach and Recruitment (SOAR) Mentoring Scheme trains and supports Loughborough students to mentor pupils in local secondary schools/colleges. The mentors provide a number of 1-1 and/or small group sessions aimed at raising the pupils’ attainment, their aspirations for their future and their awareness of Higher Education.
The following points will give you a general overview about the commitment involved in signing up to be part of the SOAR Mentoring Scheme.
- SOAR mentors are volunteers.
- The SOAR Mentoring scheme is registered with the Employability Award; and is worth up to 25 points.
- Mentors generally go in to school once every two weeks and deliver around 10 sessions throughout the academic year.
- The current mentors report that each 1 hour mentoring session generally takes an hour to prepare.
- Full training is given and full support is available throughout the year.
If you would like to find out more about the SOAR Mentoring Scheme, please contact Lisa Ambler on firstname.lastname@example.org